Social Media Study Reveals the Hottest Gifts This Holiday Season
It's that time of year! The holidays are just around the corner and is immediately followed by Black Friday and Cyber Monday when a good chunk of holiday shopping takes place. This year, more than ever, the naughty and nice are expressing their holiday gift wishes via social media.
Prime Visibility took a look at the gifts that are lighting up Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more. After aggregating over one million social media conversations about the gifts on holiday wish lists, some of the discoveries were expected, but some of the findings are very surprising. Here is what the study found:
• Cash and gift cards are the two most requested gifts.
• Outside of cash and gift cards, iPhones are the most widely requested gift with the iPhone 5s as the most requested model.
• Nike and Ugg are the two most requested apparel brands.
• While "Breaking Bad" is the most widely requested TV Show/DVD gift, older shows such as "Friends" and "Boy Meets World" are also in high demand.
• Starbucks, iTunes, and Target are the most widely requested gift cards – even more so than Visa and American Express which can be used for a variety of different types of purchases including Starbucks, iTunes, and Target.
• Younger females under 18 are more likely to publically express what they want as a gift through social media.
It's looking to be a great year for retailers and more will be shopping using mobile devices and apps more than ever before. Teens, not surprisingly, are using social media to not only connect with the friends and brands they love, but to also shop for holiday presents. Prime Visiblity's findings also revealed that more teens are increasingly turning to Instagram, Tumblr and Snapchat (and some are even turning to Twitter) rather than Facebook or LinkedIn. In particular, Instagram is probably the network where teens are heading to most often over Facebook, demonstrating the need for brands to consider social network marketing options beyond Facebook.